Baseball Basics is a practice segment scheduled to provide you, the coach, with the opportunity to introduce what’s to come! Teach your team the basics of the baseball field, positions, dugouts, and equipment. Explain team rules, practice structure, and expectations. Take some time to familiarize beginning baseball players with this wonderful game:
- Players – Names and introductions
- Coaches – Names and introductions
- Field – This beautiful diamond!
- Positions – Four outfielders vs. three?
- Equipment – What to bring and where to put it
- Practice Structure – How YOU run practice and what’s expected
- Attire – What should they wear? Do you want them wearing cleats in parents’ car?
- Team Rules – Anything relevant that will result in discipline?
- Batting Lineup – How will this work? Any on-deck rules?
- Dugout Etiquette – Which adult will serve as Dugout Monitor?
- Discipline – What happens when one messes around?
Make this a one-time extension of your initial team meeting, except this time it’s with the players and assistant coaches. Say it once, then be consistent and hold all (including yourself) accountable.
- STRUCTURE, RULES, & EXPECTATIONS
- INTRODUCE THE GAME
- INTRODUCE THE TEAM
- SET THE TONE
- PLAYING TIME & POSITIONS
- DISCIPLINE STEPS
- Coach's Starter Kit1Purchase