A descriptive segment highlighting Dugout Captain practice absolute #7 – Baserunning / Conditioning. This segment is run late in practice because of the conditioning aspect to running the bases. Once spent, the athletes are “done for the day.” With that understood, it makes sense to get them a workout. Teach fundamentals, get in shape, establish a lifestyle of fitness, and then get the heck out of there.
- Teach – Mix it up, but be sure to teach. It’s often said that baserunning is the most undertaught baseball fundamental.
- Simple and Layered – Follow a progression where baserunning instrution is simple and builds upon the last. Add one fundamental each practice, review past instruction, and ensure that all athletes get a good workout.
- Mask The Work with Fun – Use instruction and competition to mask the fact that each athlete is getting 8-12 aggressive sprints.
- Anywhere – Baserunning can be done ANYWHERE: On the diamond, in the Dynamic Warm Up Cone Box, or in open space. Use bases, throw-down bases, cones.
- Conditioning vs. Baserunning – Baserunning fundamentals, leadoffs, outfield routes, athleticism movements (sprints, agility, plyometrics)… but ALWAYS conditioning
- Positive Habit – As leaders, we have responsibility to teach active lifestyle. Reality of video games and digital society screams for role models to preach and support physical activity.
- Fun – Keep it varied. Bases one practice. Fun comp drill the next. Add the stopwatch to baserunning and get times.
- Connect It – Can you connect Baserunning/Conditioning to what was covered during Early Baserunning? Or to a drill run during Station Instruction? Example: Run Touchdown Tommy’s on a day when Outfield Drills were covered. Or, work through Leads/Breaks with full sprint each time through the line.
- SIMPLE & LAYERED
- MASK WORK WITH FUN
- RUN ANYWHERE
- CONDITIONING VS. BASERUNNING
- POSITIVE HABIT
- CONNECT IT