Walking Soldier Drill
The Walking Soldier Drill is a fun way to teach or review fielding a ground ball in the outfield. It’s also a great drill for coaching the Crow Hop movement.
EXECUTION – Begin without baseballs and line up the athletes side-by-side (facing coach). The athletes will walk forward, each one with an assigned verbal to yell. Continue the drill by having the all group members yell all verbals each repetition. Finish with ground balls, crow hops, and throws to a net or receiver.
- Read – 1st athlete yells, “READ” and group takes drop step.
- Charge – 2nd athlete yells, “charge” and group walks forward.
- Field – 3rd athlete yells, “field” and group uses L/L and R/R to field ball.
- Crow hop – 4th athlete yells, “Crow hop.”
- Throw – 5th athlete yells, “throw.”
- Start Slow – Start with 1-2 reps of individual verbals. Rip through 1-2 reps of group verbals. Then get into live baseballs.
- Be Loud – Kids love to yell. Think like a kid and don’t take yourself so seriously 🙂
- Have Fun – Big, high-knee marches… in rhythm too!
- CROW HOP
- START SLOW
- BE LOUD
- HAVE FUN - BE SILLY
- Baseball Buckets1
- Catch Net1