Trash Can Toss is primarily fun. The coaching relevance to this drill is a “do or die” play from the outfield. This means that the winning run is attempting to score and you MUST throw them out at home plate to save the game. Forget the cut off man, forget fundamentals… make a play!
EXECUTION – Empty a trash can and lay it down on top of home plate. The opening to the trash can should be facing the athletes, waiting in center field. The goal of Trash Can Toss? Toss the ball into the trash can. Not much more than that.
- Trash Can – Athletes to centerfield, can at home plate.
- Starting Block Cones – Position a pair of cones that the live athlete must start behind.
- 2-3 Times – Work through the line two to three times (making adjustments each round if necessary to find success)
- Bring Extra Trash Bag – Swallow your pride and empty that nasty thing!
- Hit Short & Encourage Aggression – To find success, coach may have to hit short flies or ground balls and encourage athletes to charge aggressively.
- Pick a Prize – Bag of sunflower seeds, lead team yell, stretching @ next practice… find some way to celebrate a make.
CLOSING – Work to quickly get attention away from the prizes. There CAN be a winner without having LOSERS – this trick can help.
- TRASH CAN TO HOME PLATE
- STARTING BLOCK CONES
- 2-3 X'S THROUGH LINE
- BRING EXTRA TRASH BAG
- HIT SHORT / ENCOURAGE CHARGING
- PICK A PRIZE
- Baseball Buckets1