DC recommends running Tagging Up during Early Baserunning. Use final 4-6 sprints and review tagging up fundamentals.
EXECUTION – First athlete jogs forward to the middle cone. On a coachs verbal (or the toss up of a baseball), the athlete is to retreat back to the first cone (red). On a second coachs verbal (or the baseball hitting the palm of the coachs hand), the athlete is to break and sprint through the far cone (blue). Look for an athletic, posture when tagging up, one foot to the base and the athlete chest facing you.
DC KEYS –
- Toss a Baseball – Use a baseball as a visual aid for when athletes should retreat back to the “base” and when they should break into a sprint. May have to toss the baseball high, or use a coachs verbal and wait for the athletes to get back to the first cone before tossing the ball into the air.
- Chest to the Baseball – Tagging up fundamentals require the athlete to maintain a chest-facing athletic stance while watching the baseball and preparing to break.
- Get Low with the Ball – Athletically bend at the knees in rhythm with the falling baseball
- START MIDDLE (white cone)
- RETREAT TO "BASE" (red cone)
- RUN THROUGH FAR CONE (blue cone)
- TOSS A BASEBALL FOR TAG TIME
- ATHLETE CHEST TO BALL
- GET LOW WITH THE BALL
- Warm Up Cones (Red/White/Blue)9