Running Darts is a great drill to run during Quick Defense. Before using this type of throw during a rundown drill, executing Running Darts as a Quick Defense drill gives the athletes a chance to learn and train that specific movement without the other execution points of a rundown.
EXECUTION – Each coach needs a couple baseballs and a glove. Live athlete steps up to the first cone and receives a toss from coach. After catching, athlete is to transfer the ball into the barehand, hold it up, and run at coach. At the red cone, athlete is to deliver an overhand dart. Coach catches and tosses ball to next athlete in line. Often times, coaches under-appreciate the opportunity to teach small things like a Backhand Feed as a skill. Once is a movement is learned, it can be incorporated into practice for the rest of the season.
- Catch Baseball – Live athlete steps into athletic ready position.
- Barehand and Show – Transfer ball into throwing hand and show ball to receiver.
- Toss Dart – Ball on soft line. Easy to receive from short distance.
- No Pump Fake – Learn to run aggressively with pumping or faking the throwing hand. Fake out a runnerd… Fake out a receiver?
- Establish Lane – Take one step towards the throwing arm. Establishes a throwing lane if there was a runner present.
- Coach’s Verbal – After several times through the line, instruct athlete to toss dart on your verbal.
- READY POSITION, CATCH BALL
- BAREHAND & SHOW
- TOSS DART
- NO PUMP FAKE
- ESTABLISH LANE
- COACH'S VERBAL