Rundown Fly Bys is an infield drill is designed to reinforce rundown fundamentals and add a twist to the action. Teach and reinforce four execution keys to remember, and then execute a fun fly-ball football pattern.
EXECUTION – Drill is typically run moving from 2nd base towards first base. Place the line at the second base bag, and one cone for the ‘live’ athlete 5-10 feet off the bag. Place several cones down to represent a baseline and use a catch net 10 feet in front of the 1st base bag. Start drill with ball in hand and work through the four Rundown fundamentals:
- Establish throwing lane to arm side
- Show the baseball
- Force a commit – Baserunner must turn and run (see jersey numbers)
- Peel off arm side
Have the athlete toss the ball into the throw net at the final cone, then “peel off” away from the baseline. Continue into no-man’s land for a football pattern. Bring ball back to line. Advance THE drill to athletes calling for the ball, receiving a throw (from you), and executing a proper run down. COULD be done with athletes, but only when ready.
- Verbal: NOW! – Introduce topic of 1st baseman calling for the baseball. Remove baseline cones and use a verbal to signal when to toss. If no verbal is heard, apply tag to throw net.
- Avoid Ball Fake – Fakes your teammates out as well
- Go Hard – 95% sprint is key to one-throw rundown
- CREATE THROWING LANE
- SHOW BASEBALL
- FORCE A COMMIT
- PEEL OFF ARMSIDE
- FOOTBALL PATTERN
- VERBAL: NOW!
- AVOID BALL FAKE
- NEAR FULL SPRINT
- Catch Net1
- Baseball Buckets1