Positions and Movements
Positions and Movements is a beginning drill to introduce young ballplayers to the positions… and movements… of this wonderful game. Like a game of charades, take your squad through a field tour and introduce the movements used at each position
EXECUTION – Gather the group at home plate, standing in a tight circle. Instruct all the athletes to “make like a helicopter landing.” As they look around to figure out what the heck that broken-english means, slowly start bending at the knees and move down into a catcher’s squat. When all atheltes have gotten down into the crouch, describe your actions and get your limbs into position:
- “Glove hand out to give my pitcher a target”
- “Throwing hand behind my bum-bum so it doesn’t get smashed.”
- “Eyes locked on the pitcher so I’m ready to block that 95-mph heater!”
Next, stand up and jog to the pitcher’s mound. It’s time to swallow your pride (again) and make like Nolan Ryan! And so on and so on…
Action – Move around the diamond, at minimum up the middle of the field
- Catcher Position – Squat down
- Pitcher Position – Full wind-up motion
- Shortstop – Ground ball technique (ready position, approach, fielding triangle, throw)
- Outfield – Glove up to catch with two hands, big crow hop, and unleash a throw!
- Be Quick, Don’t Hurry – Move quickly, doesn’t need to take long.
- Positions THEN Movements – Teach the positions first, then associate those positions with their movements. Consider Treasure Map Challenge as a drill to run before Positions and Movements.
- Fun Factor Up -You didn’t volunteer to coach to look coolHere’s where you establish that practice is a fun and “safe” place. No one will get made fun of… but we can always laugh WITH you. You are their fearless leader and they need to know just how good you are… (were)… (thought you were)… (oh well).
- DISCUSSION AT HOME PLATE
- POSITION BY POSITION - C / P / SS / OF
- BE QUICK, DON'T HURRY
- POSITIONS... THEN MOVEMENTS
- FUN FACTOR UP! - NO EGO