Offered during Dugout Captain’s Olympic Competition practice, this hitting drill is a home run derby with a twist. A fun points competition ensues with the opportunity to “rob” homeruns and earn bonus swings. With the help of an assistant coach, involve an additional hitting station to lower the group size at Olympics – Hitting.
EXECUTION – Set up a small field by placing a throw-down plate within striking distance of the outfield fence. Athletes will rotate individually, working through each position twice (over the fence –> inside the fence –> on-deck –> live). Give each athlete five swings, then rotate. One twist: If a defender catches a HR, that defender gets one extra swing when they come up at bat.
- Five Swings Each – Tally HR’s as you go
- HR = Point
- “Robbed” HR = Bonus swing for the athlete that catches it
Work through the line twice, so that each athlete has two chances to drop bombs. Provide enough time for “bonus” swings as well!
- Catch Homerun = Extra Swing – All are engaged, even those that didn’t get points still have a chance.
- Two Times Through – Can you make it through the line to get each hitter 2 rounds of 5 swings?
- Can Hitter See On-Deck Batter? – As coach, you want to be in between the live hitter and the on-deck hitter.
- FIVE SWINGS / TWO X'S THROUGH
- HR = POINT / KEEP RUNNING TALLY
- CATCH A HR = BONUS SWING
- CATCH HOMERUN = ENGAGED ATHLETES
- ATHLETES HIT TWICE
- ON DECK BATTER SAFETY
- Wiffle Ball25
- Home Plate1