Offered during the Olympics practice, the baserunning station involves up to five sprints for each athlete. Armed with a stopwatch and a score sheet to record times, get to work leading a fun and exciting competition.
EXECUTION – The Olympics-Baserunning Drill is run on the diamond with bases in place. Times will be collected for up to 5 sprints, depending on time available:
- Home to 1st
- Home to 1st
- Home to 2nd
- Home to 3rd
- HR – Touch ‘em all
Take the sum of each athlete times to compare against the group. The lowest point total will earn 5 points, second lowest 3 points, and third place will earn 1 point.
- Use Help to Record Scores – It is a HUGE help to have another set of hands to record scores and assist with drill operation
- Run Through ALL Bases – It’s just easier to get a clean time if athletes run through the base.
- Coach – There’s plenty to be taught – Talk about taking turns, angles (not wasting distance), and staying in rhythm (hit base with either foot).
CLOSING – Understand that speed does not always equal stolen bases. Just because you’re fast, does not mean you are a good baserunner. Plenty of athletes anticipate well to get solid jumps and are ‘great’ baserunners – even though they are foot-slow. Have pride in taking good angles, driving INTO each base, and competing to be the best YOU can be.
- GROUP - DISCUSSION
- 5 SPRINTS FOR TIME
- TALLY, SUMMARIZE, AND PRESENT TO THE LEAGU
- USE HELP TO RECORD SCORES
- RUN THROUGH ALL BASES
- KEEP COACHING