No Goals is a hitting competition drill to be done during Station Instruction or as an Early Activity. DC recommends incorporating any instruction that the athletes have been working on. The competitive nature of the drill will keep the athletes engaged and having fun. The purpose of this drill is to get reps in, encourage athleticism, and have a little healthy competition.
EXECUTION – Position home plate so that it’s close… but not too close to first goal (20 ft+). Break teams into two groups, explain the rules, and get to swinging. Soft toss wiffle balls into the hitting zone and establish the height limit for hit balls. A beam or horizontal fence bar (backstop) can provide a perfect marker for the top of the “goal.”
- Defense – Set up two “goals” with cones, the first of which will be on the foul line approximately 15 feet apart. Two defenders will “defend” this goal. The second set of cones will be placed 10 feet behind the first, approximately 5-10 feet in front of the fence. A single defender will defend this goal. Athletes are to rotate defensive positions each inning and stop the ball by any means possible. Helmets and batting gloves stay ON for safety.
- Offense – Each athlete gets six swings per inning. Once all have hit, inning is over. Line drives and ground balls past first goal = 1 point. Line drives and ground balls past second goal = 2 points. Home run = 3 points. No points for any ball hit over the bar.
- Find the Barrel – This is a challenging game for coach. Each kid must contribute, so find that barrel and create points for each hitter (involve tee if needbe)
- Safety – Danger at first goal is diving into each other. Fence can provide safety hazard at second goal. Dugouts should be behind coach.
- Coach it Up! – Examples: Use a home plate and three cones for the feet. Stride/load on arm swing during soft toss. Position so all swings are oppo. Foul balls or “too high” = -1
- 2 GOALS, 3 DEFENDERS
- 6 SWINGS / ATHLETE & SWITCH
- COMBINE SCORES PER TEAM FOR COMPETITION
- FIND THE BARREL
- SAFETY - DEFENDERS AND DUGOUTS
- COACH IT UP!
- Wiffle Ball25
- Home Plate1