Home-to-First coaches the correct way to run through the first base bag. As part of Baserunning or Conditioning, this drill can be run near the end of practice.
EXECUTION – Line up the kids between two side-by-side cones, or against the fence to first coach up Home-to-First fundamentals:
- Front Edge – Hit the closest part of the base. This is a race, try to get there first!!
- Either Foot – Hit the base in rhythm without breaking stride.
- Break Down, Look Right – Athletically stop the body with short choppy steps, looking to the right for an overthrown baseball.
Once repetitions begin, each athlete takes a turn. Start in the batters box with a swing (no bat). Encourage max effort and clean execution of the three keys listed above. Get through the line 2-3 times quickly before moving on to other baserunning drills or wrapping up practice.
- Goal cones ten feet past 1B – Place two cones 10-feet beyond the base to keep the athletes running hard THROUGH first base.
- Kick dirt on coach – Encourage breaking down by standing between Goal Cones. Kids get to kick dirt on coach!
- Fence line cones for return – Place cones next to fence that athletes must stay along while returning to line near home plate. Avoid collisions!
- FRONT EDGE OF BAG
- EITHER FOOT
- BREAK DOWN, LOOK RIGHT
- GOAL CONES - 10 FT BEYOND BASE
- KICK DIRT ON COACH
- FOLLOW FENCE-LINE HOME