Ground Ball Reps – No Throw + Flip is an infield drill used during Station Instruction or as an Early Activity. One coach can easily entertain an entire team providing late-arriving assistant coaches precious time. Whether reviewing Dugout Captain practice plans, drill videos, or set up diagrams, this drill combines multiple infield movements in a fun and exciting format.
EXECUTION – GB Reps – No Throw + Flip involves ground balls and the underhand flip. Add a competition to the mix with points earned for flips into a bucket. Divide the athletes evenly into two groups, and place one on either side of second base. Plan an empty bucket immediately behind the second base bag (near the cut of the outfield grass). Place two cones marking the “shooting area” for each team to stay behind (consider these the athletes’ free throw cones). Alternate hitting ground balls to the two lines, with each athlete fielding a ground ball and then running to make an underhand flip towards the bucket. First team to five points is the winner. Pick up baseballs, switch sides, and play again!
- Underhand Flip vs. Free Throw – If run as an early activity and fun is primary focus, allow the players to shoot basketball shots at the “free throw line.” Other situations (age, point in season) may call for a clean underhand flip.
- Free Throw Line Distance – Start closer than you think. Worst case is that the first game goes quickly.
- Take Knee for Hitting Ground Balls – “Softens” hops as ball starts from more realistic height level.
- 2 LINES, FREE THROW CONES, BUCKET
- ALTERNATE GB'S
- COMPETE - GAME TO 5
- UNDERHAND FLIP VS FREE THROW
- FREE THROW LINE DISTANCE MATTERS
- TAKE A KNEE FOR HITTING GROUND BALLS
- Baseball Buckets2