Ground Ball Quick Catch is a simple and effective drill to run during Quick Defense. It helps to develop basic hands and feet baseball-athleticism and provides the opportunity to train many repetitions quickly and in small space.
EXECUTION – With athletes at the warm up cones, the goal would be for each coach to have a maximum of four athletes. That said, coach rolls a ground ball, tosses a quick catch, ground ball, quick catch… rotate. Work through the line 3-4 times so that each athlete has gotten ample repetitions and move into Drills / Station Instruction.
- Ground Ball Coaching Verbals: Fielding triangle, alligator hands, POP footwork.
- Quick Catch Coaching Verbals: Handcuffs, footwork, reset.
- Control Pace and Difficulty – A coaches speech, actions, and body language can help assist calm execution (subtle, even subconscious introduction to performance under pressure)
- Coach Up/Down – Do this by requiring fundamental execution, moving their feet, or adjusting pace
- Program It – DC challenges you to insert GBQC when appropriate. Can you follow up ground ball instruction or support infield training with this short activity?
- GB / QC / GB / QC / Rotate
- GB: FIELDING TRIANGLE, ALLIGATOR, POP
- QC: HANDCUFFS, FOOTWORK, RESET
- CONTROL PACE & DIFFICULTY
- COACH UP / DOWN
- PROGRAM IT - CONNECT TO DRILLS