Ground Ball Competition is a fun infield drill designed to for repetitions and competition. The desired instruction or execution requirements can be enforced as most appropriate to your team and your situation.
EXECUTION – Ground Ball Comp is run with two lines, one on either side of the pitchers mound. On each side, place one cone down for the “live” athlete fielding the ground ball… and another cone for the line (behind which the rest will wait). A catch net (or stationary coach) stands at home plate as “points” target. Divide the group into two teams and alternate ground balls from line to line (in the case of multiple coaches, take turns hitting ground balls). Compete! The game is to 5 points, which are defined as a cleanly fielded ground ball, plus an accurate throw to net. First team to 5 points wins.
- Compete – Encourage positive cheering, and calling out current points loudly as group.
- Adjust on the Fly – If taking too long to score points, count bounced baseballs, or throws that hit the side of the net.
- Execute – No execute, no point! Examples: alligator hands, fielding triangle, pop/shuffle/throw, etc. Points are powerful things.
- ALTERNATE GBs QUICKLY
- COMPETE, PICK UP BALLS, SWITCH SIDES
- HIGH ENERGY AND VOCAL COMP
- COMPETE!! POSITIVELY
- ADJUST SCORING ON FLY
- EXECUTE - HOW MUCH?
- Baseball Buckets1
- Catch Net1