Four-Corner Receiving is a drill to work on catching the baseball (basic receiving for beginning baseball players). It is easy to execute, safe for beginning athletes, and can provide high quantity of repetitions in a small amount of time and space. Goal is to teach receiving without danger or fear factor creeping in.
EXECUTION – Offered as a Quick Defense drill, each coach has four athletes in a single line. First athlete steps in front of the cone with feet square to coach. Coach tosses baseballs predictably through 4 spots:
- Right Shoulder
- Left Shoulder
- Right Hip
- Left Hip
- Predictable First – Verbally announce each number to athlete before tossing ball
- Routine – Predictable, backwards, random
- Increase Difficulty – Start glove at chest, no glove, no glove + tennis ball
- Two-For-One – Try this: Put baseball in both hands. Swing both arms back, but toss only one. Unpredictable – look for athlete smiles in the video!!
- 4 TOSSES EACH
- 3 TIMES THROUGH LINE
- ADJUST BY ATHLETE
- PREDICTABLE FIRST
- INCREASE DIFFICULTY
- BALLS IN BOTH HANDS - TOSS ONLY ONE!