Foul Line Drill
The Foul Line Drill is designed to work on cuts & relays. Using the foul line as a prop removes several variables from the athlete mind, and provides structure to the athletes. There is a straight line for direction with three distinct groups of participants: 1) outfielders; 2) relaymen; and, 3) bag men). Athletes can focus on executing the proper cut/relay fundamentals without worrying about roles and responsiblities.
EXECUTION – Drill is ideally run down the left field line, and uses that foul line as a guide. There are three parts to this drill:
- Outfielder – For the outfielder, place one cone 25 feet towards left field. Place another cone on the foul line, immediately next to a bucket of baseballs. The ‘live’ Outfielder will break from line cone to the bucket of baseballs on your verbal.
- Relay Man – For the relay man, place one cone next to the fence, and the other cone directly across on the foul line. The ‘live’ Relay Man will break from line cone to foul line cone on your verbal.
- Bag Man – For the third baseman, place one cone in a realistic location of that players position relative to the athletes’ age. Place another cone just beyond the base, so there is a doubled-up marker for the base.
On your verbal: Outfielder – Breaks to bucket, grabs a baseball with the barehand, and delivers a throw to the relay man. Relay Man – Breaks to foul line, creates a big ‘X’, yells verbal (“relay, relay”), turns gloveside, and delivers a throw to the third baseman. Bagman – Breaks to bag, straddle, slap tag, and show. Rotate from OF to Relay Man to 3rd Baseman.
- Six Athletes Active – 3 kids live, and 3 kids rotating.
- 1, 2, or 3 Coaches – Opportunity to coach the OF, Relayman, and 3rd Baseman depending on number of coaches. Suggestions: Replace the bucket with a live fly ball, start the relay man at SS, grind over the position of the straddle and the slap tag execution for the 3B. Use your help!
- Ditch the Foul Line – Leads to larger exercise of live cuts & relays
- 3 GROUPS ALONG USING FOUL LINE
- OUTFIELDER / RELAY MAN / BAG MAN
- GO ON COACH VERBAL
- SIX ATHLETES ACTIVE
- 1, 2, 3 COACHES
- DITCH THE FOUL LINE
- Baseball Buckets1