Dueling Fungoes is an Infield drill designed to maximize ground ball repetitions in a short amount of time. The name implies rapid fire ground balls from two fungo-wielding coaches. Because of the high-quantity goal, the level of execution you demand as coach will vary wildly. This depends on the age of your players, where you are at in your season, and how much ground ball instruction has been presented to the athletes. Regardless, what you CAN accomplish with Dueling Fungoes is mass reps!
EXECUTION – Dueling Fungoes can be run with a group or the entire team. The drill requires two coaches and two buckets of baseballs (more baseballs the merrier). Players spread out evenly at the infield spots to receive mass reps of ground balls. Depending on number of athletes, rotate either after each ground ball… or rotate positions after bucket empties. Each coach should work through 3-4 buckets, which gets each athlete 20-30 ground balls.
- Coach #1 stands on the 3B side of home plate and hits GBs to SS and 1B.
- Coach #2 stands on the 1B side of home plate and hits GBs to 3B and 2B.
- Options – No throws, ball piles on outfield grass. Throws to single net at 1B area (first baseman tosses dart or rolls to net).
- ** Advanced – Throws to two Bagmen, one at 1st and one at 2nd **
- Rotate Positions – Different hops, different angles, different challenges.
- Instruction vs. Repetition – This drill presents the opportunity to get mass reps – take it. That’s why the drill calls for as many baseballs as possible. Empty the buckets, and do it again. Shut your over-active coaching mouth and get yourself a core workout!!
- Safety – Lots of opportunity to get people hit. Especially the 3rd baseman cutting in front of the ground ball to short stop. With throws, everything gets doubly dangerous. And if you have athletes serving as bagmen-receivers, you had better be on your coaching toes (recommended for 14+).
- 2 COACHES, 2 BUCKETS
- 20-30 GB EACH ATHLETE
- COACH #1 - SS & 1B
- COACH #2 - 3B & 2B
- ROTATE POSITIONS
- INSTRUCTION VS. REPETITION
- SAFETY IS PRIORITY
- Baseball Buckets2
- Catch Net1