Confidence is EARNED.
We’ve done a lot of preaching about the process over results philosophy.
When we talk about confidence… Confidence is one of those results. And it’s the reward of working hard. We don’t want to be overwhelmed by the concept of confidence. And we want to have fun earning that confidence.
Confidence is earned.
So what does that mean? Quality reps.
We want to get out and work. Whether that’s a six year old taking 20 swings a day… or the twenty one year old working on backhand picks in the six-hole… we want quality work. Let’s let confidence be the result of feeling success, of practicing, of improving and along the way. We’ve got to enjoy that process. So to support that confidence that we’re earning every single day we show up we’re going to be positive.
1. Players – Act as if. We’re not gonna be overwhelmed with the training plan we’re not going to be concerned with where we’re gonna be in six days six weeks or six months. We’re going to show up and do our best today acting as if our favorite ballplayer. How would Mike Trout attack these 10 swings in the cage? How would Bryce Harper go back on a fly ball? How would Nolan Arenado take his ground ball reps during batting practice?
2. Coaches – Be Positive. Two ways. We’re going to Build People Pp. So whether you’re talking to your athletes, or you’re talking to your players. We’re gonna use positive language – looking for ways to celebrate what they’re doing right. This game is hard and as you get in the cage and you’re working on specific skills or you’re taking that next step in the training plan… focus on building up what we’re doing well. Focus on quality, positive reps.
Positive Coach Speak – We want to catch ourselves using negative language: “Hey, stay off the dirt.” Maybe we should stay ON the grass? Or “Get that ball out of the dirt. Stop throwing it short!” Versus “Hey, throw THROUGH the chest!”
We want to build people up with our language and really take an approach towards allowing us to have fun as we build confidence.
Play hard, have fun.
- I am confident in my ability to ______ ?
- Why? How did you earn that confidence?
- Who will you “act as if” you are?
Act As If… you ARE your favorite player. How would he work?
Be Positive! Build your players up with positive language.
- There are no Execution Keys
- There are no DC Keys
- No equipment needed