Use the foul line as the base of a pyramid, and extend cones into the outfield to form a pyramid. Walking from first base into right field, place the first cone on the foul line. Place a second cone extended at an angle into the outfield. Place the next cone back on the foul line, then another cone in the outfield, in line with the angle set by the second cone but farther into the outfield. Continue this process, alternating cones on the foul line and in the outfield and extending the distance between the foul line cones and the outfield cones. After setting a cone at the peak of the pyramid in the outfield, place cones in decreasing distances until you reach the foul line again.
Once the pyramid is constructed with the cones, have fun varying the assignments for each set of sprints. Sprint forward the entire pyramid, simply working on changing directions athletically, and explosively sprint in short bursts. Or, sprint forward in the direction of the outfield and backpedal each time while returning to the foul line cones. Involve different movements to keep things fun. Movements can include sprints, running backward, side-step or shuffle, high knees, hopping, bearcrawl, etc.
- Sprint: Straight-ahead sprints to each cone in the outfield and back to the next cone on the foul line. Option to involve the hand touching each cone.
- Backwards: The athlete runs backward around all cones, or on all return trips to the foul line.
- Side Shuffle: Much like executing a defensive slide in basketball, the athlete turns sideways and shuffles around each cone.
- Plyometrics – Involve jumping as explosive movements and power training. Straight-ahead broad jumps, lateral leaps, single leg plyos, etc.
- Fun Stuff – Bear crawls, skipping, hopping, cartwheels.
- Efficient Angles – Coach clean angles and efficient footwork.
- Vary It – Mix up the movements each time through the pyramid.
- Explosive Movements – Emphasize acceleration out of each cone
- CONES AT INCREASING DISTANCES
- SPRINT, BACKWARDS, SHUFFLE, PLYOS
- COMBINE WITH OTHER AGILITY EXERCISES
- EFFICIENT ANGLES
- VARY MOVEMENTS
- EXPLOSIVE - FIRST STEP POWER