Change of Direction is an Early Baserunning drill working athleticism. Execute these movements to finish up the warm up and get heart rates up. While building strength, increasing speed, and assisting with coordination and movement patterns.
EXECUTION – Early baserunning Change of Direction involves 6-8 sprints. Each sprint has at least one change of direction. Start middle (white cone), move back to start cone (red), change direction and run through far cone (blue). Form line there to repeat in opposite direction or walk back to run again. Try these variations to get back to the red cone:
- Sprint (forward)
- Side Shuffle Left
- Side Shuffle Right
- Backpedal (two hands to ground)
- Hard First Steps – Emphasize first 4-6 steps (explosive!)
- Touch the Cone – Be outstanding! Do things the right way. Fair and objective come competition time
- Mix it Up – Audible / Visual (drop the arm) / Different ways of learning.
- “Positive Competition” Culture – Can we create a team culture where competition is fun and good and it’s okay to “lose”?!
- SPRINT FORWARD
- SIDE SHUFFLE LEFT
- SIDE SHUFFLE RIGHT
- BACKPEDAL (TWO HANDS TO GROUND)
- HARD FIRST STEPS
- TOUCH THE CONE
- MIX IT UP
- Warm Up Cones (Red/White/Blue)9