Catcher Receiving is a Quick Defense drill for athletes learning how to receive the baseball and introduces doing so from a catcher’s stance. Run this drill early for receiving work. For best results, run this drill after completing Fundamentals: Catcher at practice. Doing this helps to reinforce skill work with baseball positions.
EXECUTION – As with most Quick Defense drills, DC recommends working through the line three times. That’s four catcher receptions, three times through – each athlete receives twelve baseballs and the team moves into Station Instruction.
- 4 X 3 – Four tosses, three times through the line.
- Soft Balls – Tennis balls or wiffle balls to bare hand.
- Baseballs to Gloves – Age / ability dictate when baseballs are appropriate to use.
- Control Toss – Toss to chest-area first, and do so with an easy pace. DC recommends coach to take knee and use big arm swing.
- Windshield Wiper – Use the coaching verbal “windshield wiper” as a visual example for the movement of the glove arm and hand.
- Humble Pie – For the hotshot athletes, pick up your pace and challenge with location of toss.
- 4 X 3 = FOUR THROWS, THREE TIMES
- TENNIS BALLS TO BARE HAND
- TOSS BASEBALLS TO GLOVES
- CONTROL TOSS
- WINDSHIELD WIPER
- HUMBLE PIE NEEDED?