Bagman & Relayman is designed to introduce and teach two significant things: Cut & Relay Fundamentals and Roles & Responsibilities. Don’t discount the simplicity of this drill, as it involves so much more than a simple cut/relay.
EXECUTION – Distribute athletes evenly in centerfield, shortstop, and second base areas. Place several cones in straight line from the cut of the infield grass directly behind 2nd base to the centerfield fence. Roll, toss, or hit ball into centerfield and have athletes execute proper Cut & Relay to the second base bag. Rotate clockwise after each play, from centerfield to shortstop to second base.
When instructing roles and responsibilities, use the following keywords:
- Relay Man – The infielder closer to the ball (ball is on MY side of the centerfield cone line)
- Bag Man – The infielder farther away from the ball (ball is on the OTHER side of the centerfield cone line)
Recognition of responsibilities – Be patient, this takes time! Think on the fly: “Am I closer to the ball? Then, what is my role?”
- Positioning – Relay man positions himself in a straight line between baseball and bag. Bag Man in straddle position so sliding runner goes between legs.
- Execute – Proper Cut & Relay (or Slap Tag & Show)
- Big X – Make a big X
- Be Vocal – Be loud (outfielder CANNOT miss you)
- Turn Gloveside – ALWAYS turn to glove (no exceptions while learning)
- Relay Man – Big X / Vocal / Turn Gloveside… Positioning
- Bag Man – Coaching details of tag play @ 2nd base (straddle, swipe, show)
- Redo Button – Stop the action at any time and force proper execution / feel
- Involve All – Have an idea of which athlete takes the throw and which athlete takes the bag. Ensure ALL do BOTH roles. If you see Johnny at 2nd base and he DOESN’T get the ball… make sure he DOES when he gets to shortstop.
- RECONGIZE ROLE
- POSITION IN-LINE
- BIG X
- BE VOCAL
- TURN GLOVESIDE
- X / VOCAL / TURN GLOVESIDE
- STRADDLE, SWIPE, & SHOW
- DO-OVER'S ARE IN
- ALL PLAYERS DO BOTH ROLES
- Baseball Buckets1