1st & 3rd Baserunning
1st & 3rd Baserunning is a team offense drill to run during the baserunning segment of practice. Your team will need to cover the 1st / 3rd situation from both the defensive and offensive side of the game. The situation of runners and first and third bases gives the offense a chance to score a run without requiring a hit. Whether that’s due to good baserunning, or a defense’s inability to play catch, this play is commonplace for youth baseball through college baseball.
Coaches Note: 1st & 3rd Defense Drill should be run prior to incorporating baserunners in this type of activity.
EXECUTION – This drill is run on the diamond with a full defense. Catchers should be in gear and a pitcher rotating through the mound. Coach gives an offensive sign each pitch from the third base coaching box.
- Runner @ First – With signs coming from coach, first base runner varies his execution. Options include: Straight steal, delay, early, stop short & rundown.
- Runner @ Third – Responsibility is to extend lead and score. With help from the third base coach, runner at third watches play, extends lead, and selects best time to break for home.
- Run 1st & 3rd Defense Drill First – Give kids the chance to execute defensive responsibilities before adding baserunners.
- Coach it Up! – One coach takes offense and stands in the third base box. Another coach takes defense and stands behind pitchers mound (offset). Any other coaches could coach-up the catchers (defense) or first base runners (offense).
- Savvy at Third Base – What are the opportunities for advantage as a third base runner? Pitcher turns his back to throw to SS or 2B. SS prepares to toss dart to first baseman. (infielder in rundown) picks up speed, eyes are off, gaining ground on runner.
- 1B RUNNER - TAKE SIGN & EXECUTE
- 3B RUNNER - EXTEND LEAD & SCORE
- RUN 1/3 DEFENSE FIRST
- COACH IT UP - 3B / DEFENSE / 1B
- TEACH SAVVY - 3B RUNNER
- Baseball Buckets1
- Coach's Starter KitPurchase